August 8, 2013
The Federal Housing Administration, also known as FHA, has been insuring mortgages since the 1930s. From the time of the Great Depression, the agency has assisted low to middle income consumers in their quest to purchase a home that, otherwise, they may not be able to afford. While FHA mortgages have a reputation of being more costly for the consumer, FHA also offers other perks that make these loans attractive. Here are 6 reasons an FHA mortgage may be the better choice:
When using an FHA loan, the borrower is subjected to less stringent credit requirements. For automated underwriting approval, an FHA mortgage requires that a borrower have a minimum credit score of 620 and a maximum debt to income ratio of 43%. However, manual underwriting can take into consideration additional compensating factors that are used to strengthen a loan approval. In addition, FHA will also consider non-traditional sources of credit, such as cell phone and utility bills and payments.
2. Down Payment
FHA offers one of the lowest down payment mortgage programs available to consumers. With a down payment of 3.5%, an individual with a credit middle score of at least 620 and a debt to income ratio of no more than 43% can purchase a home.
3. Gift Funds or other sources
FHA mortgages allow the borrower to use gift funds that meet approval to help fund the loan. Gifts may come from a variety of sources, such as family, friends and employers. Many borrowers will also combine an FHA mortgage with funds from state or local housing initiatives that come in the form of low interest loans or bonds.
4. FHA Refinance
FHA mortgages offer an existing borrower an easy way to refinance through its FHA streamline refinance program with no cash out. With the streamline program, a borrower is not required to submit any documentation, a credit history is not required and an appraisal is not needed. FHA relies on the borrower’s current mortgage payment history which must be satisfactory. In addition, there must be a “net tangible benefit” when refinancing with the streamline. This means that the borrower must save a certain amount of money each month through the approved refinance. However, other situations could be considered a benefit, such as moving from an adjustable rate mortgage to a fixed rate mortgage.
FHA mortgages are assumable, something that is not available with conventional loans. An assumable mortgage is one that a buyer can assume from the seller at the interest rate that the seller currently has. There are some stipulations that must also be met and the borrower must be approved in order for the assumed mortgage to be accepted. However, this is a definite perk for a home seller who holds an FHA mortgage.
6. Multiple Mortgage Programs
There are many different types of FHA mortgage programs available to home buyers. The FHA 203(k) is a type of mortgage that is used when there are repairs or maintenance issues that must be addressed when purchasing a home. FHA also offers sweat equity loans for home buyers who are interested in using their sweat equity towards their down payment. Manufactured housing loans are also available through FHA. Today, FHA’s energy efficient loans are also becoming a popular choice.
The type of loan that a home buyer chooses will always depend upon their needs and their goals. It is an individual decision that requires a home buyer to become educated about what is available to them. By doing so, a home buyer can become a successful homeowner for the long term.
, Interest Rates
, real estate
August 6, 2013
Many people want to purchase a home, but also have a difficult time coming up with the down payment. While income may be good, everyday and monthly living expenses make it almost impossible to save the amount of funds that are necessary to obtain a mortgage. However, when searching for down payment options for a home purchase, they may find that it is actually possible.
1. Conventional mortgages require a down payment of 20% which can be a large sum of money for the first time home buyer to save. There is a minimum down payment requirement of 5 to 10% which will depend on the individual lender. Any amount below 20% will require that the borrower pay private mortgage insurance along with the monthly mortgage payment. With a conventional loan, putting the most down as possible is important because it will result in a better loan and lower mortgage rate.
2. Government loans offer better options when it comes to down payments. FHA loans require a low 3.5% down payment with a minimum credit score of 620 and maximum debt to income ratio of 43% for automated underwriting. In addition, FHA offers borrowers many other benefits, such as 6% seller concessions. These loans are also assumable which means they can be assumed by the buyer, who must be approved, when the borrower decides to sell the home. FHA loans also have an upfront mortgage insurance premium paid at closing and an annual mortgage insurance premium that must be paid for the life of the loan or until the loan is refinanced with a conventional or other type of loan.
3. VA loans have no minimum down payment requirement. In fact, most VA loan borrowers use this as a means of 100% financing. However, a borrower must be eligible according to VA guidelines. VA loans do have a one time VA funding fee.
4. FHA mortgages offer sweat equity loans which allow a borrower to perform their own work in lieu of a portion of the down payment.
5. FHA mortgages also offer bridal registry loans which allows others to deposit funds to a bridal registry that will be used to fund the down payment of the mortgage.
6. Gifts are an acceptable part of obtaining a mortgage and are often used with FHA loans. However, gifts must meet the program’s guidelines for approval. The gift can be from family, friends and even employers. There are specific rules that must be followed regarding proof, sourcing and transfer of funds.
7. Many states, counties and cities offer housing initiatives to assist with the down payment for first time home buyers. These funds are usually in the form of low interest loans or bonds. Each one has its own guidelines for repayment with some having no repayment as long as the borrower remains in the home.
8. Some employers offer down payment assistance as a benefit after the employee has worked a certain period of time.
9. For second homes or investment properties, some borrowers will use the equity that is available in their primary residence for the down payment.
While saving the down payment funds for a home purchase can take some time, home buyers should keep up to date with what additional avenues of assistance are available to them. Since most down payment assistance programs are refunded on a regular basis, borrowers should keep in touch with the latest updates in their area or state. It is also not unusual for new local programs to crop up unexpectedly. The important thing is to keep saving, keep looking and not give up.
, Interest Rates
May 2, 2012
Here at Sell or Yell we can help. We offer a fast cash buy service that allows you to sell your property quickly and in your own specific time scale. There are many reasons why you might need to sell your house quickly. You might need to release equity in your house to buy another property or pay off debts. Perhaps you are facing financial difficulties and need cash quickly to avoid house repossession and eviction. Whatever your circumstances we are dedicated to offering you a solution.
The current economic climate means that an increasing number of people are struggling to keep up with mortgage repayments and are facing property repossession. If this is you don’t panic, we are here to help. At Sell or Yell we specialize in quick cash property sales. We are committed to working within your personal time frame and providing you with a solution. If you are being threatened with eviction or repossession we will help you to find alternative accommodation giving you peace of mind that you will have somewhere to live at this difficult and frightening time. House repossession is something that is becoming a reality for more and more of us and our professional team at Sell or Yell are experienced in dealing with clients facing repossession and understand the urgency required.
At Sell or Yell our quick house sale service means you avoid all of the associated delays and volatility associated with the current housing market. House sales can be arranged in a matter of days and all of our services are tailored towards your own individual needs including our Sell with Rent Options scheme which involves finding you alternative accommodation after your house sale.
, real estate
March 31, 2012
As you decide to sell your home it is necessary that you will also have some knowledge on things that you need to consider in selling it so that you can be sure that you will not encounter any troubles with regards of the transaction with the potential buyers.
1. Ways of advertising. The very first thing you need to make sure in selling your home is the way that you are going to advertise it. You need to make sure that the way you promote your home will be very effective so that you can sell it fast. You can ask the help of a real estate agent in advertising or promoting your property. Another advertising strategy that you can do is by listing your property in local newspapers or by putting ad on the Internet.
2. Setting up a valuable price. It is really very necessary that you have the knowledge about the market value of your property so that you can set up a valuable price that isn’t bias to you and to your potential buyer. Set a price in which your buyer can still negotiate, give them a chance to at least bargain on the price that you have. Remember that, price is mostly the first thing that is asked by the buyers and if they find your price is too expensive compared to your competitors surely that they will not waste their time to look at your home. Be reasonable in giving price to your property, a price that is upon the real value of your home.
3. Consider having home inspection. It is an added value that you can have once you decide to sell your house. Remember that having a home inspection will give you ideas on the things that needs to be improved and repaired. Buyers are more willing to purchase a house that undergo a home inspection this is for the reason that they feel more secured. Having home inspection gives a chance to your buyer to realize that it is better to stay in your place because they dont have to worry anymore on the problems that may arise once they choose your property.
4. Legal issues. It is best if you are going to fix and resolve all legal issues on your property before moving on selling it. That way you don’t have to think on the possible problems that you may encounter on the process of selling it. You can freely deal and have legal transaction with your buyer especially if you have settled all the legal issues on your property.
These considerations that you need to have whenever you plan to sell your house are very important to make sure that in the long run of transacting with your problem you will not have any problem. Consider these things even before you start dealing or advertising your property to make sure that you will have a smooth flow of transaction with your buyers.
, real estate